Wish List

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Wise words from a 6-year-old...

I want to share a quick card with you today and then tell you about some wise thoughts that my 6-year-old granddaughter shared last night.

First the card...
When I visited one of my sisters this past week, we had fun going through some of her sewing supplies. We both love to sew, although she is lightyears better than me. We both liked a  particular piece of lace she had in her stash, but she said it was a little wide for the kind of sewing she usually did.  I remarked at how it would make a great stencil for cardmaking. She promptly cut off a piece and gave it to me. When I got home I used that piece of lace to make a quick thank you card to send to her. The card at left is the result.  I adhered the lace to some white paper using some spray adhesive for quilt basting.  Then I spritzed it with some Maya Road Metallic Mist in bronze. I immediately peeled the lace off the paper and the pretty design of the lace was left.  I think it looks a little rustic and vintage and I really liked the design it left. A little ribbon and a quick sentiment with brown ink finished the card.  The striped background paper is from a DCWV 8X8 pad called "Linen Closet."

Now onto the reason for the title of this post. Last evening my husband and I attended a swim meet in which our 6- and 9-year-old granddaughters competed. Sophie is the older of the two and is very competetive, feeling badly when she doesn't live up to her own expectations. Polly has a very different approach. In one of her heats, she mistakenly began swimming freestyle when she was competing in a 50-yard butterfly. After the meet, my daughter asked her if she realized she had started swimming the wrong stroke. "Yes, I know!" Polly said cheerfully. "You know you were DQ'd (disqualified) for that," my daughter continued.  "I don't care," Polly retorted. "It's just swimming! The world isn't going to end if I don't win!"                                                                    
Isn't that a wonderful attitude? And to think it came from a very wise and beautiful little 6-year-old girl!

Thanks for visiting and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.
Cheryl


No comments: