Wish List

Monday, November 19, 2012

A recycled birthday card for my little sis...

First of all, let me get this out of the way:  HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MICHELLE!

I made her a birthday card from the packaging material from two embossing folders that I actually sent to her as a little gift a while back. I'd been admiring the clear cards on many of the blogs I read each day and decided it was my turn to give it a try.  Here's the result:

Clear cards are horribly difficult to photograph, and when you toss in my lack of photography skills and a total absence of knowledge about lighting, etc., this is the best you can expect. I took this photo on my back porch where it was bright but not overly sunny.

The teal patterned paper was cut with a Lifestyle Crafts die and is adhered to the back side of the card front.  The two label shapes (also cut with Lifestyle Crafts dies) and the flower are on the front of the card. The scalloped rectangle is held on with some double-sided tape in the center (under the label shapes) and a tiny glue dot under each pearl in the corners. That way, none of the adhesive is visible.


I cut the yellow flower from the Flower Shoppe cartridge.  The center is made by punching a couple of star-like flowers from white CS, shaping the petals and adding a pearl cluster in the center.  The punch I used is a May flowers squeeze punch by Fiskars. It's one of the oldest punches I own and I use it all the time for flower centers.










The inside is finished with the same scalloped rectangle on the back with a plain rectangle, sized to fit, on the inside. All the adhesive was hidden between the two pieces.

The sentiment is a Fiskars stamp from their birthday collection. I'd tell you how old my sister is today, but since I'm sure she'll be following this advice and lying about her age, I'd better not say anything to keep her little fib believable. LOL





I hope you enjoyed seeing my first attempt at a clear card. It was fun, and I felt good about recycling some packaging material for the card base. I sure hope my sister enjoyed receiving it.

Thanks for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.
Cheryl



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the card first of all I love it and have it right beside me. Was fun to read your blog about it. I had not thought of using clear material another good hint thanks again Cheryl your younger sis. MW

Anonymous said...

Cheryl, good creativity and good blogging text. pj