Wish List

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Thanksgiving will be here before we know it...

I decided to take a break from making Halloween cards, and I made a Thanksgiving card instead. I've had this strong desire to do some paper piercing, so I decided to give that a whirl for this card. I even bought an honest-to-goodness paper piercing tool, instead of using some other sharp object or a needle from my sewing supplies.

Here's what I came up with:
I was pleased with how this turned out. It's what I would call a "quiet" design - not a lot of frills or embellishments. The sentiment was computer-generated and cut out with a Spellbinders oval die.

The piercing didn't take long at all. I just printed a flourish design from Gem's Cottage, used some temporary adhesive to hold it in place over my cardstock and poked away. I did not have an extra mouse pad laying around to use as a cushion, so I used a piece of fun foam that I folded in half for extra thickness. This is something that is easy to do in front of the TV while watching your favorite shows.



Here's a little closer look at the piercing detail. The rust-colored cardstock has a white core, so after piercing it, I did go back and "poke" each hole with a black, fine-tipped pen so that the white core wasn't so obvious. Next time I will try this technique with some solid core paper. I think that will eliminate having to go over my pierced pattern with a black pen.










I decided to do some piercing to decorate the inside, as well. It not only adds a design element to the card, but it also adds some texture. I find myself running my fingers over the design after it's done to "feel" how pretty it is.



I generally send out at least a dozen Thanksgiving cards, so I've got quite a few more to make. I think I'd better finish my Halloween cards, first, though!

I'm also really going to have to focus when it comes to finishing my Christmas cards. With about 75 more to make, I'll need to keep my nose to the card-making grindstone.

Thanks so much for stopping by today, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.
Cheryl

No comments: