Wish List

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Wood veneer works, too...

My husband gave me some very thin sheets of wood veneer (maybe 1/32" thick?), and I've been wanting to try cutting one of them with my dies.  My first attempt was using a simple LIfestyle Crafts label die and running it through my Cuttlebug.  Here's the result:
This card is a simple, masculine card, but the actual wood label adds a nice touch.  The die did not cut all the way through the wood in some areas, but because this veneer is so thin, it made a deep impression and I was able to use my scissors to finish the cut. I think you could also use a good craft knife.

I also tried running the veneer through my printer to see if I could actually print on it, but...no luck! It jammed every time. We have two printers--an ink jet and a laser--and it jammed in both of them. I finally decided to use a Fiskars stamp for the greeting, and then I added a little rough twine in a dark brown for interest. As you can see, I also inked the edges of the wood shape with some distress ink and added a few faux brads.  The wood takes the ink so beautifully!
I adhered the sentiment/label with some foam tape for a little more dimension and rounded the two bottom corners.

This card fits nicely inside a #10 envelope.

This wood veneer could even be cut with a paper cutter to make a flat, non-folded card and embellished as you would any other. I think this veneer is a fun addition to my crafting supplies and perfect for a man's card. I plan to try to punch some shapes from it and I'll let you know how that turns out.


Thanks for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.
Cheryl

No comments: