Wish List

Thursday, January 1, 2015

A special sympathy card...

A while ago I needed a sympathy card. These cards are ones I can rarely bring myself to make...until I actually need them. In this case, my sister's mother-in-law passed away, so I wanted something to express my condolences in a personal way. This is the card I created:

The "Bird on Branch" die-cut is by Marianne Design Creatables and was sent to me by a friend and fellow card maker in Germany. Thank you, Nadine! I thought this die-cut worked so well for a sympathy card. It has a quietness to it that seems very fitting.

The blue patterned paper is actually a piece of patterned vellum. It has a very soft and subtle look to it in real life.  The sentiment was stamped with Versamark and heat-embossed. The border punch is Doily Lace Edge by Martha Stewart.



The inside sentiment was stamped with a blue-gray ink to match the color on the front of the card.

The cardstock on the inside is actually white.  I obviously didn't have good lighting when this photo was taken, so it has a pinkish cast to it.  One of these days I'll learn how to take better photos AND color correct them when I don't!





It's always difficult to make these kinds of cards, but I really do try to think about the recipients and their loss when I create them. I also like to use this time to reflect on the life of the person who has passed away and the gifts they have shared with their families and so many others.

Thank you so much for stopping by, and remember to laugh--a little or a lot--every day.
Cheryl

2 comments:

Mona Pendleton said...

So very pretty Cheryl! Love the fancy punched border and the beautiful bird silhouette! Hope you are enjoying the New Year!

Darnell said...

A beautiful card, Cheryl, and a very beautifully written post. I agree with you about the importance of making sympathy cards when they are needed so they reflect our own feelings and the relationship we have with the ones who are grieving. As you said, it's also an opportunity to bring to mind the loved one who has died. That condolence on the inside is new to me and I just love it.

I wish you all the best in the new year!! Hugs, Darnell